How do I know if I have asbestos in my home?
Asbestos was banned in Australia in 2003 & New Zealand enacted a National Asbestos ban in 2016. There are several risks associated with the exposure to airborne asbestos fibres as they can cause several diseases including asbestosis, lung cancer & mesothelioma. Due to its common use, asbestos can be found in many products including but not limited to:
- Vinyl asbestos floor tiles
- Asbestos vinyl floor sheeting
- Asbestos adhesives including bitumen
- Sprayed insulation (often referred to as “limpet”
- Asbestos fences, Asbestos roofing, or other cement products
- Fire doors
Careful consideration should be taken during home renovations & construction projects where the unsafe removal may increase exposure. Additionally, those in specific industries such as tradespersons or builders could potentially be more exposed if unsafe work practices are not followed.